Pharmacology of Escilex 5 Tablet
Escitalopram is an orally administered selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Escitalopram is the pure S-enantiomer of the racemic bicyclic phthalate derivative citalopram. Escitalopram is at least 100 fold more potent than the R-enantiomer with respect to inhibition of 5-HT reuptake. Escitalopram has no or very low affinity for serotonergic or other receptors including alpha- and beta-adrenergic Dopamine, Histamine, Muscarinic and benzodiazepine receptors.
Dosage & Administration of Escilex 5 Tablet
AndepramTM should generally be administered once daily, morning or evening with or without food.
• Major depressive episodes: Usual dosage is 10 mg once daily. Depending on individual patient response, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 20 mg daily.
• Panic disorder with or without agoraphobia: An initial dose of 5 mg is recommended for the first week before increasing the dose to 10 mg daily. The dose may be further increased, up to a maximum of 20 mg daily,
• Social anxiety disorder: Usual dosage is 10 mg once daily. Usually, 2-4 weeks are necessary to obtain symptom relief. The dose may subsequently, depending on individual patient response, be decreased to 5 mg or increased to a maximum of 20 mg daily.
• Generalised anxiety disorder: Initial dosage is 10 mg once daily. Depending on the individual patient response, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 20 mg daily.
• Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Initial dosage is 10 mg once daily. Depending on the individual patient response, the dose may be increased to a maximum of 20 mg daily.
Interaction of Escilex 5 Tablet
Concomitant use with SSRIs, SNRIs or Tryptophan is not recommended. Use caution when concomitant use with drugs that affect Hemostasis (NSAIDs, Aspirin, Warfarin).
Escitalopram is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to Escitalopram or Citalopram or any of the inactive ingredients of the drug product. Concomitant use of escitalopram in patients taking monoamine oxidase/pimozide is contraindicated.
Side Effects of Escilex 5 Tablet
Most commonly observed adverse reactions are: insomnia, ejaculation disorder (primarily ejaculatory delay), nausea, sweating increased, fatigue and somnolence, decreased libido, and anorgasmia.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Pregnancy: Use only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus .
Nursing Mother: Caution should be exercised when administered to a nursing woman.
Precautions & Warnings
Clinical worsening, suicidality & unusual change in behavior should be monitor, during the initial few months of therapy or at times of dose changes. Escitalopram should be prescribe with care in patients with a history of mania & seizure disorder.
SSRIs & related anti-depressant drugs
Store below 30°C temperature and protect from light & moisture. Keep the medicine out of the reach of children.